A responsive, compassionate legal team dedicated to helping people through family law issues.

Is your co-parent violating your child custody agreement?

On Behalf of | Oct 19, 2021 | Child Custody |

In divorce proceedings, pertinent issues like child custody take center stage. Custodial arrangements involve making concessions and reaching amicable solutions with your ex-spouse, all while having the child’s best interests at heart. However, such agreements are only as good as their enforceability, and there are several cases of parents violating child custody orders. 

So, what can you do when a parent or guardian goes against the agreed-upon child custody orders?

Document the violations

It is vital to record the instances when your co-parent violated the child custody orders. Some violations are slight, but it is important that you document every instance. It will come in handy whenever you need to prove that such violations were not isolated incidents. For example, you can keep copies of emails or texts containing talk about custody violations or visit logs.

Enlist the court’s support to enforce the order

If the parent or guardian violates the child custody agreement, you have a right to go to court and have it enforced. The judge can penalize your spouse for flouting custodial orders. They may be found to be in contempt of court, and the penalties may range from verbal reprimands, a fine or even jail time.

In addition, you can ask to have the child custody order modified based on the idea that your co-parent’s refusal to obey the existing order damages your parent-child relationship and is emotionally harmful to your child directly.

Understand your legal rights

Most child custody violations begin as minor actions which you may disregard. However, it is crucial to set things straight from the word go.  If your co-parent or guardian is constantly going against the child custody orders, taking the right course of action will safeguard your interests and, most importantly, the welfare of your children.