A responsive, compassionate legal team dedicated to helping people through family law issues.

Types of visitation orders in the state of California

On Behalf of | Jun 27, 2021 | Child Custody |

During divorce proceedings, child custody will be a major issue that will need to be settled by you, your co-parent and the court. 

If you end up with primary custody of the children (meaning they’re in your care more than 50% of the time), what type of visitation rights will your co-parent be allowed? 

Your co-parent could be awarded the following visitation privileges 

Ultimately, the type of visitation that’s awarded will be tailored to your child’s best interests. The four types of visitation include:

  • No Visitation: This is used in extreme cases where visitation with your co-parents would be harmful to your child, even if it was done under strict supervision. This is, naturally, quite rare.
  • Supervised Visitation: This is where your child’s co-parent is supervised by another adult or by a professional agency during visitation with your child. This can be necessary for a number of reasons, including situations where your co-parent has been absent for a while and needs to get reacquainted with your child before visitation privileges are increased.
  • Scheduled Visitation: Having scheduled visitation prevents conflicts and confusion by creating a visitation schedule that everyone agrees will work. The schedule can consist of weekend/weekday arrangements, holidays, special occasions, and vacations. This schedule can be agreed upon by the parents or set by the court.
  • Reasonable Visitation: If the parents get along well and can effectively communicate, a reasonable visitation order leaves visitation open-ended. The parents can coordinate everything as they see fit.

Even though you have primary custody of your children, your co-parent has certain visitation rights — but so does your child. If you feel that your co-parent’s visitation rights need to be restricted or your current visitation plan isn’t working out, it may be time to seek legal assistance.