A responsive, compassionate legal team dedicated to helping people through family law issues.

Traveling after divorce with the kids? Get your co-parent involved

On Behalf of | May 30, 2021 | Child Custody |

After getting a divorce, you may feel like you want to take a vacation, and that’s great. However, if you have children and want to take them with you, you might find yourself in a difficult position.

Sometimes, parents who want to travel with their kids following divorce face restrictions due to their custody agreements. For instance, if you have only visitation rights or partial custody, it would make sense that you’d need to get approval from the other parent to take your kids with you. It’s possible that your custody agreement could also have limits on where you can travel with the kids — especially if it’s out-of-state or to another country.

What should you do if you want to take your kids on vacation after divorce?

If you want to take your kids on vacation and know that travel is a point of contention with your co-parent, it’s important to talk to your ex-spouse and to make sure that you both have a good understanding of what’s going to happen as well as an agreement that the travel is appropriate.

For instance, if you intend to travel to Mexico to visit family or friends, the other parent may want to be part of the process of obtaining passports and to be involved in the planning process, so that they know where you’ll be and who your children will see. 

It’s also very important that both parents have a signed agreement if you intend to travel far with your children or if that travel will impact your normal custody arrangements. That helps protect the parent who is traveling against claims of parental kidnapping, and it makes sure the other parent is fully informed about the trip. 

This may be a complex issue for your family. Our website has more information about custody and divorce, move-away cases and other arrangements. Getting support for your custody issue can help you overcome numerous problems.